360 degrees of sustainability
- NTMA has the ambition of being a best in class public sector employee, part of which is demonstrating leadership on climate and sustainability.
- NTMA had already launched a Green Bond and divested Irish Strategic Investment Fund (ISIF) from fossil fuels, the next step was to engage the wider organisation in sustainability.
- The move into a new Green Building gave an opportunity to enhance the organisation’s commitment to sustainability and to reflect this in its operations and its culture.
Close collaboration with the Green Team to develop workshops responding to employee interest. Timely advice to the internal communication team on sustainability messaging that resonates. Co-design of a strategy that is ambitious, informed by science and responds to national and international policy and best practice.
How we helped
We worked with Green Team and senior management to develop an ambitious business-wide sustainability strategy to complement the Corporate Strategy.
We designed and delivered a series of workshops and materials to train trainers from the Green Team to deliver a series of 3 workshops for their fellow employees.
Internal Communications and Employee Engagement
We designed and conducted a survey for NTMA employees to gauge sustainability attitudes, know-how and information and motivation gaps. Advice to the internal communications team and the Green Team on sustainability messaging in 2019 and the co-design of a sustainability.
- NTMA has a full understanding of employees attitudes, expectations and knowledge in relation to sustainability (and progress will be assessed in a repeat survey in 2020).
- The Green Team has the knowledge and skills to educate and engage fellow employees.
- Employees are engaged in an ongoing, fun and interactive sustainability campaign.
- The NTMA Board has adopted climate as a strategic risk across all business areas. NTMA has a Green Strategy with goals, actions and KPIs.
In NTMA we are on a journey to become a best in class public sector employer that invests in its staff and in long term sustainability. We are partnering with Change by Degrees as part of this process to develop a Green Strategy for the business and to engage and educate our staff. Benefitting from the expertise, energy and vision that Madeleine and Tara bring to the table, we aim to maximise our positive impacts on the environment and society, building on the leadership we have given to date.Conor O’Kelly, CEO National Treasury Management Agency